HS Owen was founded by our director Hannah, to provide a compassionate, honest and bespoke service. Born and bred in Torquay, she wanted to give back to our wonderful area by the sea with customers at the heart of the business.
We take pride in the fact that a lot of our business, whether it is in sales or lettings, comes from personal recommendations and from customers we have helped in the past. This falls largely to our personal and efficient service where we are happy to stretch that much further to help you get the outcome you desire.
Using our knowledge and experience when it comes to dealing with property, we have been able to create an innovative and futuristic service to Torbay in order to suit the market and its customers growing desires. Technology has advanced rapidly in recent years and statistically buyers and tenants now flock to online portals and websites when looking for their dream home. We do, however, believe in local estate agency, providing you with a one-to-one service with a member of our team based in either of our high street offices. Our bright and refreshing offices, offer the perfect locations for showcasing property with our contemporary freestanding LED window displays. So, you can rest assured when leaving the task of letting your property it is in our capable hands.
Without a doubt, the internet has changed the landscape of the property market dramatically over the past ten years. However, marketing a property is about so much more than simply listing it on Rightmove & Zoopla. Because no two properties are the same, a cohesive & fully comprehensive marketing strategy that reaches the widest audience is a vital factor in achieving a sale at the best possible price. At HS Owen we understand that quality marketing and effective communication are king. One of the keys to our success is ensuring that everything we produce is high quality which starts first and foremost with our professionally enhanced photography to show each property to its potential.
We send highly targeted emails to our database of registered tenants using powerful software that matches properties to interested applicants. It would be easy to stop there, to rely on computers to automatically match properties, but years of experience have taught us the process is as much art as it is science and this is where the hands on personal approach from our staff comes into its own.
We operate in Torquay, Paignton, and surrounding areas. We live in the area, know it like the back of our hands and are passionate when it comes to dealing with property.
The head of our lettings department is Penny Reynolds-Woodward. Penny joined HS Owen in 2021 to head up our lettings department and is an accomplished property professional with 20 year’s experience and excellent knowledge of the lettings market. Her approachable manner and strong communication skills offer tenants and landlords confidence that they have a professional advisor at their side. Landlords can be assured that whatever their query they will be responded to by someone with an understanding of their needs and specialist knowledge.
So why use a lettings agent?
Many landlords do not have the time to effectively manage the day to day letting of a property as it comes with many challenges with the changes in the law being very high up on that list. Here at HS Owen we are always keeping up to date with all changes in the law and ensuring landlords are always fully compliant.
With HS Owen we offer different options on management but being a local independent agent, we can also tailor a package to suit your requirements.
Within the fully managed lettings package we offer
- Expert advice as to the likely rental income.
- Advertising and generally marketing the Property.
- Interviewing prospective tenants and taking up full references using a third-party referencing agency that can offer rent guarantee at an additional cost.
- Providing all legal paperwork including the tenancy agreement for the Property.
- Carrying out the initial right to rent checks in accordance with the Immigration Act 2014.
- Taking a deposit from the Tenant, dealing with this deposit under the requirements of the chosen deposit protection scheme until the end of the tenancy.
- Collecting the Rent monthly and paying over to the Landlord monthly
- Arranging with service companies (principally electricity gas & water) for meter readings and advising them of the transfer of service contracts to the Tenant at the beginning of each tenancy.
- Regular inspections of the Property are carried out on a four monthly basis and full reports will be sent to you each time they are carried out with any recommendations.
- Co-ordination of repair or maintenance
- Making payments on behalf of the Landlord from rents received for costs in managing the Property.
- Actioning of all legal paperwork including rent increases and possession of the property.
- Carrying out a full property inspection and inventory check at the end of the tenancy and, if necessary, preparing and agreeing a schedule of costs relating to any damage or unfair wear and tear prior to releasing the Deposit.
- Keeping you up to date and fully compliant with the laws at all times.
Let your property through us and you will also get 24/7 access to your property portal including maintenance and rent
You will have access to -
Portfolio: one portal for your complete portfolio
Summary: property addresses, photos and text
Key Dates - tenancy start, end, inspection dates etc for every tenancy
Calendar - all the dates in a calendar view – you can also add your own events (away, holiday etc)
Maintenance - list and optionally approve maintenance jobs
Statements - generate a statement for each property or the collective portfolio
Messages - Communicate with a member of our team about your property.